Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Some of these paranoid people have a point..

Do you ever just go to yahoo and scroll through their news thingy? Yesterday I stumbled upon an article titled How to Devise Passwords That Drive Hackers Away. Boy, did I click on that sucker. You guys know I was recently hacked.. and I know it was through Facebook, which is extremely common, but it still scared me. My freshmen year I was also hacked by my friends and that scared me even worse. I now have a really complex password to get into my email. Although, I am like most people and have the same password for most of my accounts. But guys.. these people are intense! This gal who wrote the article (Nicole Perlroth from New York Times) is superrrr paranoid! I applaud that she is trying to be safe but danngg! She said "...I set up unique, complex passwords for every Web site, enabled two-step identification for my email accounts, and even covered up my computer's Web camera with a piece of masking tape - a precaution that invited ridicule from friends and co-workers who suggested it was time to get my head checked..."
I've never really thought of that. I've always that the two-step think would be a pain and a burden. Covering up the camera.. Never thought of that. But to think that there are people watching you out there.. absolutely disgusting.
She also gave her readers some tips on how to avoid getting hacked.
1) If your password is in the dictionary it's too simple. Hackers will easily be able to hack into your account within a few hours.
2) A common mistake = using the same password more than once. But who doesn't do that?!
3) She suggested in choosing a catch phrase as a password. A strong password is over 14 characters long. But it must also be something that we could remember like a song lyric or favorite movie quote.
4) Don't just keep all your passwords on your computer or a stickie note, like me. Ha! Nicole made a point here. If something ever happened to my stickie note I'm in trouble. If anything ever happened to my computer I'm also toast. She said her paranoid friend kept his passwords on an encrypted USB drive. He memorized a long chain of random letters and numbers to the USB drive, but does not know the passwords himself. "That way, if someone puts a gun to my head and demands to know my password, I can honestly say I don't know it." 
I can honestly say I learned a lot from this article, but most of it was too intense for little Abigail.
BUT I just haaad to scroll down and look at all the comments. Some were just too much!


No comments:

Post a Comment